- Related Research Areas
Carbon Cycle & Ecosystems,
Climate Variability & Change
- Project Description
- PRIMARY RESEARCH QUESTION: How do changes in Arctic sea ice and ocean hydrography over the past few decades effect fragile marine ecosystems?
RESEARCH SUB-QUESTIONS AND HYPOTHESES
1) How are physical environmental changes in the pan-Arctic (air temperatures, winds, sea ice) affecting water column stability and structure?
(a) Warm air/changes in winds/more open water -> increase stratification
(b) Increase in air temps and increase in winds -> not additive
2) How are changes in ice and nutrients affecting phytoplankton?
(a) Longer growing season in Pac. NW -> less nutrients entering Arctic through the Bering Strait
(b) Earlier retreat of ice -> increase in primary production early in season, but similar quantity integrated over entire season
3) How do changes in sea ice feedback to the C-cycle?
(a) Over the shelves: food web is fueled -> increased C export to sediments
(b) Over the deep ocean: food web is fueled, but the increase in C-uptake in the surface is remineralized before reaching the deep ocean floor.
- Project Administrator(s):